Official website of the Board of Directors
First State Military Academy 3 Shinnecock Road
Dover, Delaware 19904 (302) 734 4486
First State Military Academy
Chairman’s Message -
Greetings from the First State Military Academy.
Our mission is quite clear – We are creating a new Charter High School here in Kent County that is going to replicate the highly successful Delaware Military Academy, located in Wilmington. FSMA will be the only full time Junior ROTC (JROTC) Program located below New Castle County. We will be focused on the following for our students:
* Academically Challenging (Project Based Learning)
* Physical and Emotional Growth
* Leadership Development
Our intentions are to combine the customs and culture of a full-time JROTC program with the curriculum of project based learning. This combination is unique not only here in Delaware but nationally as well. Strong academics, discipline, as well as leadership from our cadets so they will have the necessary skills and education to attend a university, a service academy, or enter the work force directly; but doing each of these exceptionally well.
If this is of interest to you, or someone that has 6th and 7th graders starting this fall of 2013, here are some planning dates for your consideration:
FSMA Charter Application:
Submitted to the Department of Education on January 4, 2013.
Approved June 2013
FSMA Pre-Planning Year Period:
June 2013 to June 2014
FSMA Planning Year:
June 2014 to June 2015
December 2014 to May 2015
FSMA School Opening:
If you have any questions or have interest in supporting this School, you may reach me at FSMADE@firststatemilitaryacademy.org
Thank you for your interest, and hope to hear from you about this new educational opportunity for Delaware.
C. Scott Kidner, CPT, DEARNG (Ret), Chairman of the Board
Mission of First State Military Academy is to provide an educational experience that focuses on developing the intellectual, physical and emotional growth of our Cadets. Through an environment of academic rigor, military discipline, citizenship, leadership and the application of strong moral values, Graduates will develop respect for themselves, those on whom they depend, and those that depend on them, ensuring successful entry into adult life."
Armed Forces JROTC
News and Information from the Board of Directors
Dear Associates, Parents, and Friends of First State Military Academy;
As we enter the Holiday Season, FSMA continues to move forward with bringing educational choice for Kent County.
As way of review, FSMA is a non-profit educational institution as classified by the IRS, we received our Charter on June 20th, and we will be opening our doors in September of 2015. We also have selected our Founding Commandant, Mr. Kelly Carey of Ocean View, Delaware. He has k -12 teaching experience, was an associate principal, and will soon be promoted to Major in the Delaware Army National Guard. Commandant Carey is right now assisting the Founding Board with a series of internal guidance policies as well as further developing our curriculum. More from our Commandant next year.
However, two other major things have occurred that we like to tell you about -
1. FSMA is very close to purchasing a property in the Clayton area of Delaware for our school. We have been in conversations with the property owner and, if all goes to according to schedule, we will announce our purchase in January 2014.
2. Over the last number of months, FSMA has secured funding and financial support from two very different but critical organizations. First, we have been acknowledge by the Longwood Foundation with an unrestricted grant that will support our efforts in purchasing the property, and start-up costs in our run-up to September 2015 opening. The second was a "letter of commitment" from the USDA Rural Grant Program to provide a fixed loan amount for the renovations and construction of our school facilities.
With the commitment of these two organizations and their belief in what we are trying to accomplish, much of what has occurred to date simply would not have happened.
Finally, we continue to seek the support of parents, friends and anyone who thinks a choice in education is needed in Kent County. Here is how you can help:
· Contact us and get on our "FSMA Community List" that will get periodic emails on the status of our school.
· If you or someone you know wants to serve in a more active manner, such as on our Community Advisory Committee or the Board, please let us know.
Finally, if there are speaking opportunities that will help spread the word, let us know that as well.
C. Scott Kidner
Board of Directors
Scott Kinder, Chairman
Karen Delissio, Treasurer
Manuel Cuesta, Recording Secretary
Dennis Dinger, Chair, Human Resources
Kevin Donnelly, Chair, Finance
David Mcguigan, Chair, Facilities
Michael Bennetti, Chair, Community Outreach
FSMA Board Meeting Projected Schedule
Date Time Location
7/16/2013 5:00 pm Held
8/20/2013 5:00 pm Held
9/17/2013 5:00 pm Held
10/07/2013 5:00 pm G&L*
10/15/2013 5:00 pm TBD
11/19/2013 5:00 pm TBD
12/10/2013 5:00 pm TBD
Schedule subject to change
*Special Board Meeting schedule for
Georgia & Lynch, 150 Lafferty Ln
Dover De 19901
Item to discus, USDA loan application